Monday 21 November 2011

Leftover Pizza


Hubby and I cooked a turkey on Thanksgiving for our family.  I sent everyone home with leftovers but we still had lots and lots!  I decided to make some homemade pizza one night for dinner with our pizza.

Ingredients:
Pita pockets - for crust
Shredded cheese
Pizza sauce
Leftover turkey (or other left overs)
Veggies of choice chopped - we chose peppers, onion and spinach left over from Thanksgiving salad and canned mushrooms.

We used a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper.  You can also use tin foil but don't use wax paper in the oven! (Saying from experience, it smokes and it melts - not good!)

Then simply just took the pitas (right from the freezer) and smothered them in sauce.  I got the pizza sauce on sale for $0.99 and the pitas were on sale for $1.39 for 6.


We chose which toppings we each wanted.  Hubby chose to have more meat, and I chose more veggies - go figure.  Then we topped it with cheese, which I chose more of, I love my cheese!

The canned mushroom's were on sale as well.  The cheese was leftover from the rosemary biscuits I made for Thanksgiving.


We baked the pizzas in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes. (Until the cheese is melted and the pitas have browned and are crunchy.)


Voila! We had hot freshly baked individual pizzas made mostly from leftovers.   We just cut them with a pizza cutters and enjoyed.  It was lots of fun and easy for us to make.  I am sure kids would enjoy designing their own pizzas as well.

I've read about using pitas as pizza crust before but I hadn't tried it.  It turned out really good.  Hubby said it was better than takeout!  I guess it depends where you get your takeout but it was certainly cheaper than any takeout I have ever paid for!

No comments:

Post a Comment