Monday 30 January 2012

February No Spend Challenge


After overspending a bit in January, I suggested to my husband that we try a no spend challenge in February. He laughed at me.  He actually laughed. He thought that I was joking - I wasn't.  I don't blame him for thinking I was joking, I hardly believe it myself.  A week I could do, maybe, but a whole month?  I'm nervous and it hasn't even started!

I like to go out. I like to eat out. I like to go for car rides. I like to buy things for the house.  For the month of February (notice how I chose the shortest month), I am going to give up all of that.  Hubby has agreed to do the challenge with me; he likes the idea, but I don't think I have sold him on the fact that I actually plan to do it for the whole month!

Here are the rules that I have set for us to follow:


1. Spending only on necessary items including groceries, gas and pet supplies.

Pet food is something I obviously can't "cutback" on, or feed them random things from the freezer/cupboard (don't want any upset stomachs!).  Our pets won't have any new toys for the month though. I also can save money by making sure that I use coupons or buy pet food on sale!


2. Making home cooked meals; using what we have in the pantry/freezer and avoid eating out.

This means both my husband and I have to commit to eating at home and packing our lunches.  Sorry Dear, no Timmies runs this month! For me, eating out is a really bad habit and I determined to conquer it this month; just in time for the 10 Pound Challenge. This month will we be eating whatever lies in the back of our cupboards and freezer, and spending minimally on groceries.

3. Stretching our fuel costs by spending more time at home and less time out and about driving.

I love to go driving and window shopping.  I am going to have to really cut back on driving by combining the errands I do and making less trips.  It is a 64km round trip to work everyday, so I usually do go through a tank of gas in a week, but every km I save is money I didn't spend in gas.

4. Finding inexpensive things to do for fun.

My husband and I both have a lot of schoolwork we need to do in February.  That should help decrease the time we spend out helping us not spend money.  We still need to go out, so I will look for free things we can do.  It will be interesting to find something to do for Valentine's Day!

I will be starting this challenge on February 1st and will be updating all month on how I am doing. This will be a month for me to prove to myself that I can get by without eating out, and for us to save some extra money for when hubby goes to school in April.


Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment