Monday 16 January 2012

The Importance of Self Care

Working in the Social Services, I see a lot of people around me leave due to burn out.  Burn out is one of the biggest reasons people in my field leave their job.  Luckily, the specific company I work for takes burnout very seriously and works really hard to make sure their employees have the resources they need in order to avoid burnout.

I never really thought about what I do for me to relieve stress and relax before I started at this job.  In fact, I used to get teased that I didn't know how to relax - and it's true.  I'm slowly learning how to relax but along the way I've learned some bad, expensive relaxing habits.

Who says that self care and relaxation have to be expensive?  It seems advertising and TV make you picture relaxation as a day at the spa, or on a warm tropical island.  Yes, I admit, I would love to fly off to somewhere warm every time I get stressed out, but that really isn't an option.  In early 2011 I was having a difficult time and I was really starting to reach burnout.  I convinced my hubby that we should go on a vacation to a warm destination, and we did.  It was amazing and very relaxing, but I think it would have been a lot more relaxing if we didn't have to spend the next 6 months paying off our credit card when we came home!

While that once in awhile vacation is nice to take, it just doesn't happen as often as we like. We can't afford to go away every year, especially while hubby is in school.  My other comfort is food, I love to eat out when I am stressed.  I like the atmosphere of most restaurants and I just find it relaxing. It gives hubby and I time to talk, and to get away a little bit, at least until the bill comes.

So as you can see, up until the middle of last year, my relaxation techniques were expensive and also causing me more stress because I was sometimes spending money I didn't have.   I put myself into a vicious circle.  The last 6 months have been full of new ways, and cheaper ways to relax, here are a few suggestions:

1. Movie at home: I love to cuddle up with a movie and turn off my brain for a few hours.  It's perfect after "one of those days" at work.  Sometimes turning off my brain is all I want to do, and it's ok for a few hours, as long as I'm not spending money.  But seriously, it easily can cost the two of us $30 to go to a movie theater and get a snack. At home is much cheaper, plus I can bring my blanket and wear my pajamas!

2. At home spa: I know this idea has been done again and again but it's so simple and it works!  There are so many options, you can find whatever speaks to you.  Perhaps a candle lit bath, pedicure or just spending time to try a different hairstyle or makeup.  It can really pick up your mood.

3. Candle lit dinner:  Just as cheesy as above but my husband and I actually really like cooking for each other.  We take turns whipping up something special for the other one to try - and it's not expensive because the challenge usually is to create from what is in the cupboards. It's an easy way for us to do something nice for each other and sometimes we find a recipe we really like.

4. Partner Massage: I would normally not be the first person to say massage.  I didn't like massages, still really not the biggest fan.  My husband is a big fan though, so for his birthday I signed up us for a couples massage class. I honestly didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did, but it was excellent and we learned a lot of techniques and tip to make massages easier on the massager and better for the massagee.  I went to the class worried it was going to be awkward, and left more relaxed than I have been in ages!

5. Curling up with a good book (or blog!): Sometimes I like to curl up in bed with a book, or even my laptop I'll admit and just read. I used to feel guilty about wasting time but I'm learning now to see relaxation as self care and not a waste of time.

Whatever makes you feel relaxed, make sure you spend some time for you.  In the end, if you don't have your health, you don't have anything.

What do you do for relaxation and self care?

Credit: (Photo)

3 comments:

  1. It's so important to take care of oneself. Really, I think we can be more productive during other times if we have downtime where we can just simply relax and disengage. For me, it's playing with my kids, actually. Nothing like getting the pure fun perspective of a kid to relax and temporarily forget the adult pressures we often have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curling up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate is probably one of my favorite things to do. I don't really do any elaborate "at home" spa days, though I try to remember to take good care of my skin - lots of water, retinoid, and the weekly clay mask. I don't do that so much for "relaxation" as it is "effect". But when I do really need to relax, I head to a nice Thai massage place that offers $40/hour massages. I probably do that 2x-3x year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, you need to take a time out and relax. Although I don't work in social services per say, I work for a non-profit which helps disadvantaged kids which is so stressful sometimes. It's important to remember to relax and recharge.

    ReplyDelete